Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pimping Out My Room

And now for a little tour of my new home!



Here is my living room:

Things you may notice:
- the floor mat where I do my morning yoga and dance stretches
- my kitchen in the left corner... I cook on that gas tank, and most of my food is in the two plastic containers next to it... just in case critters attack in the night
- fancy schmancy bookshelf that I reluctantly invested in after a series of complicated events... but despite its price, I must admit, it is quite beautiful, and a great place for my books, notebooks, various Peace Corps training manuals, and dishes
- water filter and bucket beneath it because my water filter leaks

Eventually, I plan to finish out this room by adding a cot-couch thing for lounging and housing the numerous guests that I fully expect to host, both from America and other parts of Senegal. I also plan to PAINT! At the moment I'm thinking light green... or blue... and one wall covered in a giant mural, though I will miss having Sasha and Brandy to do most of the artistic work.

Anyway, on to the bedroom!

So on the left is my bed... recently upgraded from a simple cot mattress to a fatty foam one, courtesy of my co-worker Bethany. The bed came at the perfect time, because I ended up getting violently ill that same night! And it wasn't even that bad because I had a fabulously more comfortable bed than I was used to. You can't see it, but my bed is positioned under my window to allow for the occasional cool breeze to interrupt my endless sweating. You can also see my mosquito net hung up for the day in the top right corner -- I did some maneuvering with various ropes and nails to find a way to hang it, and I think it's been protecting me at night?

My suitcase doubles as my wardrobe, and on the right is a metal chest for my fancy clothes (i.e. Jasmine, Barbie, and my only pair of blue jeans) and electronics.

Not in the photo are my fancy decorations, which include a Beatles poster that I bought for $5, various mardi gras beads, and postcards from friends that keep falling down.


And, because I know you're curious, the bathroom!



I know you are probably all excited about the appearance of my Western toilet, but let's be serious: is it really a Western toilet if it's not hooked up to running water? Think about how that one works out for me. You may also notice a roll of toilet paper. That is not a common occurrence.... it's just an indulgence I allowed myself due to my aforementioned violent illness aka the 24 hours when I thought I was going to die. SORRY IF THIS IS TOO MUCH INFORMATION. But cultural moment! The little kettle pot next to the toilet is the normal Senegalese alternative to toilet paper. You use it and your left hand. And then you don't use your left hand for anything else, ever. Anyway, that's usually what I do instead of toilet paper. SORRY IF THIS IS TOO MUCH INFORMATION. But don't worry, there is soap there too!

And next to the toilet is my bucket and drain, aka my shower. I'm probably slightly dirty at all times in Senegal, even after dumping water on myself, because my showers amount to me just dumping water on myself.

But lest I leave you on a note that involved bathrooms and no humor, I will pass along my favorite story from my past week. I decided to show one of my friends the puppy poster I bought at Wal-Mart in America. I bought it, on a whim, the day before I left, because I thought, puppies! Ha, that will be hilarious to hang up in my my hut! Because that's how I think. So my friend says, "What is that?" And I go, "LET ME SHOW YOU." Then, when I open the poster...

I HAVE A GIANT POSTER OF LIL WAYNE.

I don't know how, but I accidentally bought a poster of Lil Wayne, NOT CUTE FUZZY ADORABLE PUPPIES, in America. And brought it all the way here. But it's just as hilarious. And soon it will be back on my wall, because unfortunately it keeps falling off, and it totally needs to be on the wall of my house all the time.





1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for the messages this poster will send to any Senagalese visitors you might have!

    ReplyDelete