Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Who is Lisa?


Oh, hey! I'm Lisa, and I'm currently serving as a Preventative Health Educator with Peace Corps Senegal. I arrived in Senegal in March 2011, and barring life-threatening scorpion stings, a spontaneous decision to move to New Mexico, or the world ending in 2012, I will be staying here until May 2013.

I graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 2009 with a degree from the Program of Liberal Studies, aka the campus cult of Great Books and home to some of the best people in the world. During college, I did summer service projects with a maternity home in California and a women's rights organization (WORI) in Uganda, and during the school year, I spent most of my time at our campus radio station and working on a sexual violence prevention project through our Gender Relations Center.

After graduating, I worked in my hometown at a youth empowerment program, interned with a children's theatre in Chicago (Chicago Children's Theatre), and eventually settled into a lovely city life existence that involved a lot of nannying for toddlers, teaching English to immigrants, and dancing, writing, and improv-ing throughout my favorite city: Chicago!




I decided to apply for the Peace Corps in March 2010. The Peace Corps had always been something I'd wanted to do, but I didn't know if it was going to be something I did when I was 28 or 65. I ended up leaving when I was 23 because... well, why not now!

Things I like include: cheese, traveling for long periods of time, Isabel Allende, the color pink, pastries, dancing as an expression of joy, and maintaining a high degree of contact with people I love.

Things I don't like include: when your jeans get wet on the bottom and then you can't sit with your feet folded under you, when I eat so much popcorn that I make myself sick, and automatically flushing toilets because you never know when they're going to strike.

I hope you now understand everything there is to know about me, as a person.



<3!

No comments: