Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Postcards and Packages

Already, I have started to accumulate a few letters and postcards... they are cherished, and occasionally hung on my walls! I say occasionally because my duct tape doesn't seem strong enough for a lot of them. But they are loved no matter what! So if you have the hankering to write, please do!  I'm a far better penpal than email correspondent.  I'd love to hear from you. Just toss an international stamp on your letter and it's good to go.

Lisa Floran
B.P. 957
Thies, Senegal, West Africa



And for the extremely motivated... if you feel like sending a package, here are some items that would be especially appreciated:

- magazines! Old or new, I love them, and so do my empty walls, and so do the kids who wander into my room

- sunglasses! Senegalese sunglasses are beautiful and plentiful, but also have the dubious distinction of having no UV protection AND being made with mirrors that literally cause permanent eye damage. So any sunglasses from America are extremely exciting, because I want to be able to see for the rest of my life.

- food treats... Chocolate candy, like m&ms and fun-size candybars, and granola bars are especially hard to find here. POPTARTS. Also, powdered cheese or alfredo sauce is great!

- CHEETOS... Why is this one of my only cravings? Or just anything with cheese. Velveeta. Macaroni and cheese. Cheese.

- Macaroni and Cheese. It deserves its own shout out because apparently, my whole host family likes it just as much as me. Sponsor American night in Lisa's hut for her and her whole family!

- pens... Their quality here has trouble keeping up with how often I need them.

- coloring books, markers, and stickers... for projects done by me and my classes. Maps are also great, to grid and copy as murals, or just to keep as is!

- nail polish! There are few better ways to hide the fact that my hands and feet are constantly dirty.


- any decorations that could continue or challenge the burgeoning Lil Wayne theme in my little house


The element of surprise is always appreciated, but then again, it's not a bad idea to shoot me an email asking if I need anything in particular at the moment too.